Friday, February 13, 2009

Thanks, Son!

So here's a conversation that took place last night at dinner:

Marc: So kids, who knows how old Mom will be on her birthday?
Olivia: Thirty-three!
Marc: No, that's how old I am, but how old will Mom be?
Bryce: uh, fifteen? yeah, fifteen?

Poor kid, being raised by a "fifteen" year old...I'm in more over my head than I thought. Actually, it was kind of funny because the kids know how old Marc is, and I thought they'd remember I'm just a year younger. On the other hand, somedays I still feel like I haven't aged past 20, except adding the extra pounds and the decrease in my ability to handle life well on 3-4 hours of sleep at night.

I do get more sleep than that, most nights anyway, and hopefully I've grown a little wiser from what I was when I was 15. However, I find myself feeling very young mentally on many days as I realize how much there is to learn in life and how many different perspectives exist on those many things to learn. Although I've learned tons in my short life span, there are so many things that I have yet to learn and many topics that I've only begun to skim the surface on. Yea for each new day to try to learn more and realize I may need to "re-learn" a few things I thought I knew! And how thankful I am for kids who ask questions and want to know the whys and hows of all aspects of things on the earth!

How fun and challenging to be part of a world in which there are things to learn and principles to understand and live by, and billions of individuals, all unique, yet very similar!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I know you can't be in your 30's because I think that's how old I am....and I am much older than you! Hope you had a happy day!

Porter Family said...

When I turned 30 last year, I had my boy coached to say, "Mom, you're young! And Dad, you're old." (Justin is 18 months younger than I am...) I love my boy. :) Oh, and I'm glad you're not 15 because that would only be acceptable to be 15 and have four kids already if you lived in the backwoods country hills of Kentucky.

Kara M. said...

haha Bryce, what a funny kid. does he not realize that Whitney isn't too far away from fifteen herself? :) Anyway, Glad to see all your posts! I wish we were closer to y'all and could see you more often!